Monday, March 14, 2011

Children Screaming Mazunga! Mazunga!

Today carried us through the slums on the outskirts of Kisumu. I have never seen so many hopeful faces and beautiful children. Children running and laughing as they came to the car to greet the Mazunga (white people) -yes...to them I, too, was white (they told me so)- who were visiting them. Their beautiful smiling faces. We visited the home of our new friend, Debra. How nice it was of her to share her home with us and introduce her son - a handsome young man who plans to always take care of his mother.

Riding along the dirt road that winds through the slum, we find the dusty road lined with every business you could imagine. I am astonished as I see the popcorn popper hard at work outside of the small lean-to that houses the local provisions shop. People dart to and fro, on foot and by bicycle, as our taxi driver tries vigilantly to escape the pothole that will surely devour our car. We nearly devour one of the many people who dart in front of us too.

More to come...as I lay beneath my bed net and sleep steals me.

1 comment:

  1. I am going to love reading about your adventure...keep writing!!! Luv u aunty

    ReplyDelete